3 Days Rwanda Gorillas in the mist tour
Lets take you on a Rwanda Gorillas, Chimps & Wildlife tour adventure and experience some rare innermost feeling of hanging with some of the rare earthly creatures and the beautiful peoples of the historical Rwanda on this 3 Days Gorillas in The Mist tour
Mention Rwanda to anyone with a small measure of geopolitical conscience, and that person will no doubt recall images of the horrific genocide that brutalised this tiny country in 1994. But since those dark days a miraculous transformation has been wrought and today the country is one of tribal unity, political stability and a promising future.
Tourism is once again a key contributor to the economy and the industry’s brightest star is the chance to track rare mountain gorillas through bamboo forests in the shadow of the Virunga volcanoes. These conical mountains are shrouded in equatorial jungles and helped earn Rwanda the well-deserved moniker of ‘Le Pays des Mille Collines’ (Land of a Thousand Hills).
The 3 Days Gorillas in The Mist gorilla trekking Rwanda Safari explores the renowned Volcanoes National Park, home to mountain gorillas and golden monkeys. Bordering Congo and Uganda, the park encompasses 4,507m-tall Mt. Karisimbi and 4 other forested volcanoes. But first, we’ll take the adventure spirit the beautiful Kigali city, the nation’s sprawling capital that has a vibrant restaurant and nightlife scene. Then later the excitement will be will be tested on a gorilla trekking Ruanda adventure up the jungles of Virunga mountains. Brace yourself for a mixture of unfamiliar feelings like fear, excitement, bewilderment, quiet and a sudden burst of brain chemicals when a silverback male gorilla gets up and slaps his chest to let you know who’s boss in the jungle. You should probably enquire about the gorillas in the mix safari like now!
- Kigali – Rwanda’s historical capital – city tour including the Memorial Centre (Genocide Museum)
- Volanoes National Park – home to the endangered mountain gorilla.
- Ruhengeri – gateway to the Volcanoes National Park
DAY 1: Arrive in Kigali – Ruhengeri (130kms/ 3hrs)
Upon arrival in Kigali, Rwanda, you will be welcomed by a company representative. Get to learn more about Kigali by embarking on a tour of the city of Kigali with a visit to the Genocide Memorial Museum. The museum is built on a site where over 250,000 people are buried after the massacre and exhibits the story of Rwanda, its history and the unfolding genocide. What an intense moment this will be when one of the guides relives those moments. Included are touch screens which have on them the testimonials of some of the survivors present during this turbulent time. Have lunch at a local restaurant before transferring to your lodge near Ruhengeri, in the northwest part of Rwanda.
We will drive you north later to embark on the planned gorillas in the mist adventure, driving through beautiful rolling hills towards Volcanoes National Park amidst forested slopes of the Virungas form a dramatic setting for the most poignant and memorable wildlife experience of a lifetime : gorilla trekking. The exhilarating climb to the gorillas’ habitat of shady bamboo forest offers fantastic views in all directions, before trekkers are immersed in the mysterious intimacy of the rainforest, alive with the calls of colorful birds and the chattering of the rare golden monkey.
Mountain Gorilla View Lodge comprises of 24 en- suite cottages made of stone-and-thatch. The lodge facilities include a restaurant and bar area, a small lounge with a fireplace, and a private veranda. The cottages are well-positioned to offer privacy and there is free 24/7 (WIFI) connected to cover the entire Lodge proximities including the Rooms. The lodge is located on the slopes of Mt. Sabyinyo offers beautiful views of the volcanoes and it is located about 15 minutes from the main headquarters of Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park.
Upgrade option Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge is situated in the foothills of the Virunga Volcanoes and only minutes away from the headquarters of the Parc National des Volcans. The lodge comprises five double cottages, two suites and one family suite. All are stone buildings with large sitting areas, fireplaces, en-suite bathrooms and a sheltered veranda. The main lodge features a reception, sitting area, dining room and shop. Large fireplaces provide warmth and the patios offer wonderful views of the Virunga Volcanoes and surrounding lowland. Although the lodge is built and operated by Governor’s Camp, it is owned by a Community Trust (SACOLA). Your stay therefore directly supports the local community and conservation initiatives.
DAY 2: Gorillas in the Mist – Gorilla Trekking
After breakfast at the lodge, your private safari guide will transfer you to the Volcanoes National Park (Parc National des Volcans) Headquarters, to meet your gorilla trekking guides and fellow trekkers. During your briefing sessions, you will be assigned to a group with a maximum of 8 people to trek. Depending on how far in the mist the gorillas have moved, the length of the trek will vary from 4-8 hours passing through the open fields to the terraced slopes to the forest of bamboo and thick undergrowth that defines the park boundary. At times the walking becomes steep and can be quite strenuous through a determined path or create a path through the brush with the help of the ranger guides.
After locating the gorillas, you will spend 1 hour with them due to conservation purposes, take time with your camera with capturing the gorilla moments as they move around the bush, and you may have to follow them in order to stay with them. You may witness the staring deep liquid brown eyes of these gentle giants, which share some 97% of their genes with humans. Return to the lodge and enjoy lunch. The remainder of the day is at leisure. An excursion to visit to the volcanic lakes is an option (time permitting). (Dinner and Overnight at Mountain Gorilla View Lodge B, L, D
Day 3: Transfer Back to Kigali – Departure Back Home
Breakfast and enjoy the beautiful scenery one more time as we calmly transfer back to Kigali arriving in time for lunch. Depending on the time of your international flight you will be dropped at Kigali International Airport. (B-L)
END OF GORILLAS IN THE MIST TOUR
- Ground transportation in a safari customized 4WD Toyota Land Cruiser with gasoline/fuel
- Mineral water in the vehicle,
- Services of an English speaking Driver/guide,
- Accommodation as shown at the lodges mentioned in the itinerary,
- Meals as shown (B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner),
- All Park Entrance Fees,
- Gorilla Trekking Permit per person.
- International Airfares; Excess baggage charges;
- Ugandan Entry Visa Fees
- International travel Vaccinations and Inoculations;
- Items of personal nature such us Room service,
- Beverages, Communications charges (telephone, fax, internet), Laundry, etc.;
- Postage fees, Porterage fees, Tips and Gratuities for your Driver/guide and Hotels staff,
- Shopping charges for Curios and Crafts,
- International Airport Departure Taxes,
- Optional activities unless specified as included,
- Any other services not expressly shown in the itinerary or indicated as included.
Other Tailored Safari Packages
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth National Park
- 5 Day Fly-in Uganda Gorilla Trekking Tour
- 6 Days Wildlife and Primate Tour
- 7 Days Experience Uganda Culture Tour
- 15 Days Luxury Wildlife, chimpanzees & Gorillas Tour
- 15 Days Birding in Uganda, Gorillas & Chimpanzees Safari
- 5 Days Rwanda Primates Tour
- 7 Days Gorilla Trekking & Chimps Tour
- 9 Days Rwanda Primates & Wildlife Adventure
- 13 Days Experience Rwanda’s Wild
- 15 Days Best of Rwanda Tour
- 3 Days Masai Mara Wildlife Paradise
- 3 Days Kenya Wildlife Weekend Safari
- 4 Days Lake Nakuru & Masai Mara Safari
- 5 Days Amboseli & Tsavo Wildlife Safari
- 7 Days Kenya Classic Wildlife Safari
- 8 Days Kenya Great Rift Valley Safari Tour
Alternative Rwanda Gorilla Safaris
We tailor every Rwanda Safari to fit your safari expectations and budget. From the safari conception stage through the planning and budgeting, we walk with with and make sure that expectations of an African Safari are met. Browse through some of our travelers’ popular choices bellow to get started.
Or Contact our safari experts right away…
Mountain Gorilla Trekking
Around only 1000 mountain gorillas still exist today. Although our closest living relatives, ironically, it is man that poses the greatest threat to their survival. For years gorillas have been ruthlessly hunted for their hands and heads, which are sold on as macabre souvenir ashtrays and lamp shades. Additionally, large numbers have been killed whilst trying to stop poachers stealing babies which are illegally sold on to zoos, where their survival rate is low.
Gorilla trekking is a wonderful experience, allowing you the opportunity to have a close encounter with these gentle giants of the jungle in their natural habitat. A trekking safari will take place either in Uganda and Rwanda on our 3 day gorillas in the mist tour. You need not feel that you are exploiting these animals by paying good money to go trek to see them in their natural habitat. In fact the ever-growing number of tourists keen to see the gorillas proves to be an important factor in their survival. The gorilla permit fees help to set up and finance patrols that are instrumental in protecting the gorillas from poachers and their lethal snares.
Gorilla Permit Costs in Rwanda
All permits are booked on a first come first serve basis through the Rwanda Development Board or through a Tour agency. Volcanoes national park has 10 gorilla groups and each group accomodates only 8 people per day for only 1 hour viewing session. The age limit for trekking gorillas is 15 years.
Price of a Rwanda Gorilla Permit
– $1500 – Non Residents, East African Residents, East African Citizens, Rwandan Residents, Rwandan Citizens
– 30% Discount (US$ 1,050) on gorilla permits if visiting other Rwanda national parks (Akagera national park, Nyungwe national park) for 3 days and more during the low season of November – May
– 15% discount (US$ 1,275) on conference guests who stay pre & post MICE events to see gorillas
– $15,000 for Private gorilla trekking of an entire group with an exclusive personalized tour guide service
– US$ 30,000 for a minimum of 3 visitors for 3 consecutive days (Behind the scenes).
Travelers Link Africa will book your gorilla permits upon confirming your gorilla tour and making payments for the permit. Please note that availability is never a guarantee , we recommend materializing your travel plans early to avoid missig out on the gorilla permits.